Roman Road Trust is looking for someone to help develop the Yard Market as a community hub and enterprise space.
We have partnered with GMB Union, the country’s third biggest workers union, to offer a three-month expenses-paid placement. This is a wonderful opportunity for a member of the community to contribute to a worthy cause, learn a wide range of skills and enhance their CV for future employment opportunities.
The work experience candidate will be working closely with Roman Road Trust’s Tabitha Stapely. This is an opportunity to gain invaluable experience in the world of community development, urban regeneration, events, marketing and social media,
Working hours and days can be flexible, but the candidate should be available to work a minimum of five hours per day, five days per week from February to July, including working on some Saturdays.
Roman Road Trust leads a number of local community and economic development initiatives to help regenerate Roman Road and the community it serves in Bow, East London. Other initiatives include Roman Road Festival; RomanRoadLDN high street digital platforms; and extensive consultations, surveys and mappings. Roman Road Trust is now launching a Neighbourhood Plan and a community-led outdoor weekly market. As a not-for-profit organisation, any profits generated by Roman Road Trust are reinvested into further community projects. Find out more about Roman Road Trust here.
The work experience trainee will be working with Roman Road Trust CEO Tabitha Stapely on the following:
- Sourcing local traders and new enterprises for the Roman Road Yard Market
- Organising community events with community groups
- Helping manage the social media platforms
- Interviewing local traders for web content
- Organising distribution of leaflets and posters
- Visiting local markets and community events to make new connections
Skills that will be learned
- Communicating with a wide range of local stakeholders
- Managing a budget
- Social media skills
- Event management
- Market management
- Online writing
- Governance of a charitable CIC/social enterprise
- Permissions and requirements for safe events
The candidate must fulfil the following requirements:
- Live, work or have a strong tie to Tower Hamlets
- Be currently unemployed
- Attend at least one GMB Union branch executive meeting
- Be willing to work hard and have a passion to learn!
Payment and deployment
The position is a voluntary work experience placement. Expenses are paid at a rate of £100 per week, kindly sponsored by GMB Union. The work placement will lead to the opportunity for a paid, assistants role to help manage this community-led market and social hug
- Working hours are a minimum of five hours per day
- Subject to negotiation, working days will be five days per week, preferably Tuesday to Saturday.
- The candidate will be reporting to Tabitha Stapely
- The candidate must be available to start immediately
- Place of work will be a mixture of home, cafes and local library
- There is an additional opportunity for extra paid work on a project-by-project basis
Please send a CV and covering letter to Tabitha Stapely at firstname.lastname@example.org